Monday, November 12, 2007

MS Deployment folder structure

In your local or network deployment point you will see several folders. Here's what I've learned about them since I've been messing around with either the MDT or BDD tools. This is not going to be an exhaustive list, but rather a general overview for people that may not have seen the folders yet.

My root folder is named Distribution. This is the one that gets shared to our deployment techs.

Under Distribution is 10 folders:
$OEM$
Applications
Boot
Captures
Control
Operating Systems
Out-of-Box Drivers
Packages
Scripts
Tools

$OEM$ -- I don't have a clue. My deployment point has nothing in this folder. You're on your own on this one.

Applications -- My deployment point has nothing in this folder be design. You can do what you will with this folder. If you choose to have MDT manage your applications then it will upload (and del) what it feels it should. I like managing the packages I make for application installation myself.

Boot -- This is where MDT is going to put your images for burning your WinPE CDs at. You will be coping stuff from this folder a lot.

Captures -- I don't have a clue. My deployment point has nothing in this folder. You're on your own on this one. I suspect this is where it would put an image you capture using MDT, but I have not done that.

Control -- This is where your CustomSettings.ini and Bootstrap.ini are going to end up. These folders are going to look a little different (but not much) depending on if you are looking at your local machine vs your network share. On the network share, as far as I know, CS.ini and BS,ini need to live in the root of this folder for WinPE to do what you think it is going to do. Your Task Sequence is also going to live in this folder.

Operating Systems -- Where the OS images are.

Out-of-Box Drivers -- When you import drivers into MDT this is where they go.

Packages -- I don't have a clue. My deployment point has nothing in this folder. You're on your own on this one. I am pretty sure that if you download any patches or language updates for your installs this is where MDT would put them. That's my logical guess.

Scripts -- This is where the big stuff happens in MDT. This is where the scripts are that actually get the things done that you want. If you have any custom scripts this is where they would go. I have downloaded and added in a few custom scripts to this folder. If you are getting weird errors then this is where you are going to have to go into when booted into your PE disc to try to troubleshoot the scripts.

Tools -- This is where a lot of the behind the scenes stuff from MDT is going to live. I don't know much about this folder. I have had to use some of the tools in here when I was working on my custom scripts that I downloaded. This is where the tool for opening and editing the .wim files are. Good luck.

No comments: