Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Forced reboots from WSUS

So lets say that you are oh I don't know upgrading Dirsync to the new hotness.  You do your research and everyone says it's just next next next and then happiness.  You don't even have to install any prereqs it will do that all for you.  (I'm looking at you https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-dirsync-upgrade-get-started/)  Well you have to update powershell and .NET.  You do that and reboot a couple times and then start the new Azure Active Directory Connect install.  It just all works.

Until you're in the middle of a full sync process and WSUS says hey you have new software that needs patches!  Reboot now!  I don't care what database operations you are doing that I am going to mess up!  BOW TO MY EVERY WHIM!

So I Google blocking reboots due to an update and every single suggestion I find says change this and reboot and you're golden.  What part of blocking a reboot do you not understand here people?

So I rush to download Process Explorer onto my machine.  I do the process find over the WSUS I'M GOING TO DESTROY YOU popup (I think it might actually say something like your machine is going to reboot in X time would you like to reboot now).  I right click that and go to the Threads tab and Suspend each thread.  That appears to have saved my hour of database operations from being interrupted.  I'll go in and unsuspend all that after my full sync is done and then let the server reboot for updates ON MY SCHEDULE.

No comments: