Thursday, January 3, 2008

Updating MS Deployment

{UPDATED since I got feedback from Mr. Ben Hunter.
I was wrong on all of this. If you are seeing an issue like the one that I saw below as far as I can tell something is corrupted in your Task Sequences. I deleted all mine (I had two, one prod and one test) and readded them and everything is working just fine now.}

So I ran into another little issue when I updated MS Deployment (was BDD). So it would appear that internally MS decided to change some of the variable names. I am using a script that moves my machines to a temp OU and then back to the original OU after everything runs. Well I turned my stable test task sequence (TS) into my production run. I then branched off that and started doing some more testing of little things (I can't even remember now what). When it got to my custom scripts of the OU stuff it would fail. Since I've spent weeks messing with that script I got fairly good at trouble shooting it (yes that is still going to be put up here at some point). As it turns out MS decided that they should change a variable name from (I think) "DomainAdmin" to "UserName". It would appear that since I imported/converted my old TS it was using the old variable names and so it kept working with my scripts. However when I tried making a new TS it would fail.

Ahhh, the lovely little things that give me job security.

No comments: